Nearly every action or superhero comes with a memorable timepiece. Whether it is Sean Connery in James Bond or Rober Downey Jr. in Iron Man, you will most definitely see these action heroes sporting an incredible watch. Some watches that were shown at the big-screen achieved incredible success beyond the movies, making sure their status is well known in Hollywood history and in the watch-collecting world. For example, Connery’s 6538 Rolex Submariner has become a holy grail for watch collectors.
Here is a list of the top 6 watches that made it to the big screen and beyond:
1. The Seiko Giugiaro 7A28-7000 in the movie „Aliens“ – made by Seiko in collaboration with Giorgetto Giugiaro, this sci-fi inspired watch is as strange as it is elusive. Although the appearance of the design is something new and different, this analog watch functionality is quite simple and straightforward. Still, this watch is really difficult to find, despite the recent re-release by the Japanese watchmaking brand.
2. Rolex Datejust in the movie „American Psycho“ – this intriguing and brutal movies is the one that will probably be in your memories for a long time. As challenging the movie might be to watch, it can simply not be difficult to appreciate the main character’s fashion sense, as seen in part by his choice of watches. You can purchase this watch for $3.998 which makes it one of the most affordable Rolex watches.
3. Omega Speedmaster Professional in the movie „Apollo 13“ – the decision to use this particular watch was made by the fact that it was actually the same watch used on the real Apollo 13 manned mission to space. Since the watch is so important to the story, it would have been a huge mistake to not include it into the movie. While finding a model of this watch can be a difficult task, Omega still makes modern versions of this watch – including a commemorative edition for the real-life Apollo 13 mission.
4. Jaeger-Lecoultre Master Ultra Thin Perpetual in the movie „Doctor Strange“ – this particular character, Doctor Strange, is a true horological fanboy. Which is quite appropriate considering that he has the ability to control the tides of time. This gorgeous moon phase watch can first be seen in the movie slowly rotating away from Dr. Stephen Strange’s watch winder, but it has also appeared in several marketing materials. As far as movie watches go, this one certainly ranks amongst the most character-appropriate one. This is probably a watch that is the most expensive on this list, with a whopping price of $19.000.
5. Hamilton Khaki Pilot Day Date in the movie „Interstellar“ – while Doctor Strange is a time-traveler, Interstellar’s time-traveling element heavily depends upon the functionality of actual watchmaking, which is why this timepiece is absolutely important to the story. Its 12-hour dial, plus the day and date windows look great with a linked metal band, or a simple leather one as well.
6. Bvlgari Diagono Sport in the movie „Iron Man“– as seen in the movie, after escaping and returning to Malibu, we can notice Tony Stark wearing this black-faced watch while in a tuxedo. The Bvlgari watches are bold, and beautifully designed and this one, in particular, comes with a brown leather strap.
Most of the time, iconic movie gear is a big and bombastic. However, if you wish to have something subtle that will remind you of your favorite movie or character, these watches might be just the right thing for you.